Rotherham 0-1 Reading

Rotherham’s first game under Kenny Jackett finished in familiar fashion, as they succumbed to yet another defeat against Reading.

Former Wolverhampton Wanderers boss Jackett took charge of the Millers after replacing Alan Stubbs, following a poor run of results that see them bottom of the table. Despite an improved performance, the new manager was unable to stop Rotherham slipping to a seventh consecutive loss.

Jackett will be pleased by his team’s efforts throughout the 90 minutes, but his task of keeping Rotherham in the Championship continues to look tough. With the Millers still six points adrift of safety, there is a lot of work to be done.

Reading had to wait until the 85th minute for their winner, as Paul McShane poked home after it looked as if they had squandered the three points when Garath McCleary saw his penalty saved earlier in the match.

The Royals, who registered their first win in five, were thankful to goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi for keeping them in the game up till that point, making many crucial saves.

The home side started the brightest of the two teams, craving out three chances in the opening third of the game. Joe Newell’s curling effort brought a fine save out of the Reading ‘keeper. Al-Habsi then went on to save Taylor’s shot, as Rotherham attacked with menace.

Al-Habsi made another breath-taking save to deny the hosts the lead as he kept out both Wood and Danny Ward’s attempts on goal.

Yet despite Rotherham’s dominant spell, Reading had a golden chance to take the lead when referee Scott Duncan awarded a penalty as Joey Van Den Berg, who had been Reading’s best player, was adjudged to have been tripped.

Arguably there was minimal contact, but it didn’t matter as McCleary hit his penalty straight down the middle leaving Camp with a comfortable save. However, it did swing the momentum in Reading’s favour as the visitors took the ascendency as Kermogant fired wide shorty after.

Jaap Stam’s side piled on the pressure and the match winning moment came in the last five minutes when centre-half McShane was on hand to produce a finish any striker would have been proud of at the far post. It sent the travelling supporters into frenzy, as Jackett saw his side let go of a deserved point.

Molly Jennens

I'm Molly Jennens and I am an aspiring football journalist. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment